POITOU DONKEY (Equus asinus)
Domestic donkey – a descendant of African wild donkeys, an equine soliped.
Breed was created in the early 18th century in the Poitou region of France.
Distribution: France, Great Britain, zoos in the USA, Canada.
The first Poitou donkeys in the „Rakši” were imported from France in March 2018.
Weight: 300-540 kg
Height at the shoulders: for male 152 cm, for female 135 cm
Life Span: 35 years (camel – 50, horse – 28, human – 79)
Gestation: 11-14 months
IN THE WORLD
* Donkeys were domesticated 3000-6000 years ago in Egypt or Mesopotamia.
* Today, there are about 44,000,000 domestic donkeys in the world, of which only about 1,000 are Poitou.
* Poitou donkeys are preserved as an outstanding and beautiful historical breed of donkeys.
* At one time they were widely used for obtaining especially good super mules (donkey and horse crossbreeds).
* Almost disappeared when, due to technical advances, mule breeding ended.
*In 1977, only 44 such donkeys were left.
* Used for riding, carrying loads, drawing carts, plowing, threshing.
* Rarely, but still grown for meat or milk.
* Extremely high risk of extinction.
FACTS ABOUT POITOU DONKEY
* In France acknowledged as a national treasure.
* Huge stature and shaggy coat that looks like dreadlocks.
* Mane can grow up to the ground.
* Coat color varies from brown to almost black.
* Usually it is necessary to get rid of mane in the name of hygiene.
* Due to a special gene mutation, mane can be gorgeous even if the donkey is Poitou only for 1/8.
* Is more stronger than a horse of the same size.
* The position of the eyes allows him to see all four of his legs at the same time.
* There are rings of other colors around the eyes and muzzle.
* character is very friendly and submissive.
* They are not stubborn, but may decide not to do something that seems unsafe.
* In France, on the island Ré, every morning pants are put on donkeys – they protect against insect bites.